Recipe : Summer Pistou
A cross between a soup and a stew, this healthy French dish is packed with vegetables and beans – perfect as a light lunch. If making ahead it will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 1 large courgette, finely diced
- 1l boiling vegetable stock (made from scratch or with reduced-salt bouillon)
- 400g can cannellini or haricot beans, drained
- 200g green beans, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- small pack basil
- 40g freshly grated parmesan
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the leeks and courgette for 5 mins to soften. Pour in the stock, add three-quarters of the haricot beans with the green beans, half the tomatoes, and simmer for 5-8 mins until the vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, blitz the remaining beans and tomatoes, the garlic and basil in a food processor (or in a bowl with a stick blender) until smooth, then stir in the Parmesan. Stir the sauce into the soup, cook for 1 min, then ladle half into bowls or pour into a flask for a packed lunch. Chill the remainder. Will keep for a couple of days.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, June 2015